Sunday, June 8, 2014

Pageants Aren't Just for Humans Anymore

Thousand dollar gowns worn during the formal wear competition. Talent competitions with matching costumes. Mommy meltdowns, the little ones barking at their competitors. Sounds like an episode of Toddler's & Tiaras, but its not. No this is a dog pageant, complete with a Tiara adorning the head of the winner.

While to some this might seem odd; Animal Pageantry is a growing trend. It's not hard to understand when you look at the numbers......a record breaking 55.7 Billion dollars was spent on pets in 2013 (that's billion with a B folks) Which is up from 53 billion in 2012, 51 billion in 2011 and 48 billion in 2010.

Now grab on to your hose and socks and pull.....2014 pet owners are predicted to spend 60 billion on their babies. Just looking at the jump in numbers from 2012 to 2014 makes me wish I'd started that animal clothing line I thought of in High School.

Speaking of 1996, get this Americans spent 21 billion on their pets. In 2013, 21.57 billion was shelled out on food ALONE. What a difference almost 20 years makes. Even Halloween costumes for animals is creeping awfully close to that of what Americans spend on costumes for their children. Yes you read that right,  only 30% more is spent on kids costumes as compared to pets. I know I used to sew my cats Halloween costumes, but I was a teen now I'd rather buy. I even bought an ACDC shirt for my 16yr old cat, Tiger, a couple years before he died.

So back to the pageants.....
Couture for pets is all the rage. A gown for your pooch to walk the catwalk is like giving your child a $500 Chanel purse. It's how a parent plooms or shows-off.
Speaking of plooming......











1 comment: